Have you ever thought about what a protein in your body looks like and how it works?
The management, analysis and visualisation of cellular and genomic information can be studied in bioinformatics. It is an emerging field of study with several applications in the medical, agricultural and pharmaceutical industries.
Students interested in molecular biology and its evolutionary aspects will enjoy studying bioinformatics and can find excellent career options in the field as well.
FUTURE SCOPES FOR CAREERS IN BIOINFORMATICS
- The bioinformatics market has been growing worldwide and is soon expected to surpass the 50 billion dollar mark.
- Artificial Intelligence and machine learning techniques are making the process of protein structure prediction easier. Bioinformatics graduates have great job opportunities in genetics as AI compliments the field very well.
- The field of biotechnology largely recruits bioinformatics graduates as researchers and analysts.
- The COVID-19 pandemic and the awareness about viruses in recent years will lead to the growth of immunoinformatics and vaccine discovery. This will lead to the growth of bioinformatics inturn.
- Bioinformatics is the key to developing certain tools to maximise the therapeutic benefits of drugs. Proteomics, the extensive study of proteins, is also highly benefited by bioinformatics, and it opens up job opportunities for graduates in a variety of fields.
- Agricultural bioinformatics can enhance agricultural biotechnology and assist in developing various crop varieties for higher productivity and resistance to diseases.
- Bioinformatics degree holders can work in the fields of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, biomedical, research institutions and hospitals.
- Graduates of bioinformatics can work in leading IT companies and institutions as bio-informationist.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO STUDY BIOINFORMATICS
- Analytical mind
- Data interpretation ability
- Communication skills
- Language proficiency
- Mathematical skills
- Basic knowledge of computer operations
CAREERS IN BIOINFORMATICS
- Bioinformatics Analysts
- Bioinformatics Trainer
- Bio- statistician
- Research Associate
- Team leader
- Bioinformatics software developer
- Associate research scientist
- Medical coder
- Clinical bioinformatician
- Application scientist
- Technology manager
ELIGIBILITY TO DO A DEGREE IN BIOINFORMATICS
Students who passed 10+2 from recognised institutions under the science stream can apply for a bachelor’s degree in Bioinformatics
TOP COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES IN INDIA AND ABROAD TO STUDY BIOINFORMATICS
- Texas A&M University, USA
- Northeastern University, USA
- Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Germany
- Technical University of Munich, Germany
- University of Toronto, Canada
- Parul University,India
- GITAM University, India
- Tezpur University, India
- Annamalai University,India
- Bharathidasan University, India
FAMOUS PEOPLE CONNECTED WITH BIOINFORMATICS
Jim Kent is an American Bioinformatics researcher and computer programmer. He has contributed to genome database projects and is the 2003 winner of the Benjamin Franklin Award for Bioinformatics.
David J. Lipman
American biologist. He is regarded as one of the original authors of the BLAST (Basic Local Alignment Search Tool) sequence alignment program and is a respected figure in bioinformatics
TOP INSTITUTIONS THAT EMPLOY PEOPLE IN BIOINFORMATICS
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals
- IBM Life Sciences
- GVK Biosciences
- Silicon Genetics and Tessela
- Strand Life Sciences