Counselling is a profession that aims to support people to overcome everything from relationship problems, stress, career planning and health issues. Specific forms of counselling also help people fight against depression, anxiety and trauma. There are various counselling systems such as academic advising, art therapy, coaching, psychotherapy, career counselling, psychiatry, school counselling and social work.
If you are interested in helping people and making a difference in their lives, you can build careers in a range of sectors, including education, healthcare, or social care.
Future Scope for a Career in Counselling
- Currently, India needs at least 1.4 million more career counsellors to bridge the gap of demand and supply.
- The COVID-19 outbreak resulted in the emergence of many career guidance mobile applications globally. Such career guidance companies are recruiting counsellors for designing and developing their content areas.
- Multinational companies often hire counsellors to assure their employees’ mental health and control their stress levels in the working environment. They are employed as corporate counsellors, career growth consultants, corporate trainers and behavioural counsellors.
- Counsellors have job options in NGOs, old age homes, and orphanages where they are appointed to provide the inmates with mental and emotional support.
- Studies show that over 93% of Indian schools do not have trained and dedicated career counsellors. Passionate career counsellors can find jobs in schools and other educational institutions.
- Sports counsellors are appointed in academies or sports clubs to help their players overcome mental hurdles and limitations.
- You can work as a relationship counsellor to discuss problems or concerns clients have in their relationship
- The ease and convenience of scheduling a therapy appointment online and talking with a therapist from the privacy of one’s own home make online therapy sessions extremely popular. The number of online therapy companies is growing every year, and this will create many opportunities for professionals.
Skills Required to Study Counselling
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Emotional stability
- Observational skills
Careers in Counselling
- Health Counsellor
- Marriage Counsellor
- Family Counsellor
- Career Guidance Counsellor
- School Counsellor
- Rehabilitation Counsellor
- Sports psychologist
Eligibility to Pursue a Degree in Counselling
Students who passed 10+2 from recognized institutions under any stream can apply for a bachelor’s degree in Counselling.
There is no specific entrance examination for this course
Top Colleges/Universities in India and Abroad to Study Counselling
- Edith Cowan University, Australia
- University of Roehampton London, UK
- Georgian University, Canada
- Florida Christian University, USA
- Pan Africa Christian University, Kenya
- Laidlaw College, New Zealand
- Messenger College, USA
- University of Divinity, Australia
Famous People Connected With Counselling
American sports psychologist‘. He is regarded as the father of sports psychology in the United States for his contributions to the field.
Russian physiologist. His research has immensely contributed to the field of behavioural psychology.
Top Institutions that Employ People in this Field
- Providence Health and Services
- Gardner Health and Care
- Sharp Healthcare
- Great Learning
- WhiteHat Jr
- IGNOU University