Electricity has become a part of our daily lives on a basic level. Hence, it is not surprising that the field of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) has seen faster growth than any other engineering degree.
It involves the use, storage and generation of power and energy in various forms like a turbine, hydro, gas, fuel cell, solar, wind or geothermal. Along with electrical or electronics subjects, this field also includes a computer, communication and mechanical fields. If you are interested and possess the right skill set, this will be an excellent career option.
Future Scope for a Career in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, EEE has a fast-growing job market with a 7% projected to increase from 2020 to 2030.
- Electrical and electronics engineers can work in research and development industries, engineering services firms, manufacturing and tech etc.
- Graduates also have scopes in areas like Software, Electronics, Computer Engineering, Communications, Nanotechnology, Hardware, Power Systems Engineering, renewable energy etc.
- Telecom industries, transportation networks, IT industries, airline and aerospace manufacturing industries and the gaming sector also need assistance from EEE graduates.
- Since electrical and electronics engineers design electric circuits and equipment, they also work in software companies for designing, manufacturing and operating various devices.
- To promote the production of electronic products, the Indian Government has introduced the Phased Manufacturing Programme (PMP) and fiscal interventions. It will create more job options for EEE graduates.
- Incentives like interest subsidies and credit default guarantees will support the expansion of existing electronic units and the setup of new manufacturing units. So EEE graduates have great work options in these manufacturing units.
Skills Required to Study Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Problem-solving skills
- Skills to design.
- Analytical skills
- Skill to develop plans, designs, diagrams
- Ability to collect and analyze data
- Computer knowledge
- Operational skills
- Electronic equipment maintenance.
- Interest in construction activities and equipment upkeep.
- Communication skills
- Time management
- Ability to work in a team
- Strong numeracy
Careers in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Control and instrumentation engineer
- Electrical engineer
- Broadcast engineer
- Manufacturing systems engineer
- Systems analyst
- Electronics engineer
- IT consultant
- Systems developer
- Network engineer
- Acoustic consultant
- Aerospace engineer
- CAD technician
- Design Engineer
- Nuclear engineer
- Sound engineer
- Special effects technician
- Clinical technologist
- Land-based engineer
- Machine learning engineer
- Management consultant
- Project manager
- Software engineer
- Technical author
- Technical sales engineer
Eligibility to Pursue a Degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Students who passed 10+2 from recognized institutions under the science stream can apply for a bachelor’s degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- JEE Main & Advanced – held for admission to the top IITs, CFTIs and NITs of India.
- WBJEE – State-level entrance exam conducted for admission to the various top engineering colleges in West Bengal.
- MHT CET – State-level entrance exam conducted for admission to the various top engineering colleges in Maharashtra
- KCET – State-level entrance exam conducted for admission to the various courses in Karnataka.
- VITEEE – Conducted by Vellore Institute of Technology for admission to various engineering programs.
- MET – online entrance examination conducted by Manipal University for admission to various undergraduate courses offered by them.
Top Colleges/Universities in India and Abroad to Study Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- Massachusetts institute of technology, Cambridge
- Stanford University, US
- University college London, UK
- University of California-Berkeley
- California institute of Technology, US
- Manipal Institute of Technology, India
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, India
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, India
- Vellore Institute of Technology, India
- RV College of Engineering, India
Famous People Connected With Electrical and Electronic Engineering
English physicist and chemist. Michael Faraday is known for having discovered principles underlying electromagnetic induction, diamagnetism and electrolysis.
Serbian-American inventor, electrical engineer and mechanical engineer. He is known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Top Institutions that Employ People in this Field
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Sellafield Ltd
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd
- Durgapur steel plant
- OMEGA Elevator
- CONE Elevator
- ALSTOM India Power project
- Everest Industry
- ZENITH Construction etc
- L&T Construction and STEEL
- Tata Metallic
- Tata Motors
- Jay Balaji Steel
- Tata Steel & Power Limited
- State Electricity Board
- TRF Ltd
- Jindal Steel & Power Limited
- Hindustan Motor