While purchasing a new mobile phone, what will be your priorities? We consider many things like cost, design, safety, etc. before making a decision. Industrial engineering is the branch of engineering that involves figuring out how to make or do things better. Industrial engineers make sure your mobile phone fits in your pocket, it is not overheating while charging etc.
Industrial engineers improve processes and designs to be more efficient so as to waste less money, time, raw resources and workforce. Industrial engineering is essential to all kinds of businesses and industries. For students who want to be part of a dynamic field that is constantly evolving, this is an excellent career option.
FUTURE SCOPES FOR CAREERS IN INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- Employment opportunities for industrial engineers are projected to grow by 14% from 2020 to 2030. About 23,300 openings for industrial engineers are projected each year, on average over the decade.
- An industrial engineer can pursue different career options from safety measures engineer, production manager, industrial technician, management engineer, systems engineer etc., working both in offices and on-site locations.
- Industrial engineers can get jobs in almost all types of industries, both in the government and private sectors.
- Self-employment opportunities are also available as consultants or specialists in methods and work operation, usually after suitable years of industrial experience.
- The job opportunities for graduates have further increased with the development of new technologies like artificial intelligence, machine language, cloud computing and big data analytics.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO STUDY INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- Technical skills
- Good communication skills
- Planning and organisational skills
- Analytical skills
- Multi-tasking attitude
- Problem-solving skills
- Creative & critical thinking
CAREERS IN INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- Safety Measures Engineer
- Production Manager
- Industrial Technician
- Management Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Industrial Production Manager
- Plant Engineer
- Process Engineers
- Quality Engineers
- Industrial Managers
- Operations Analyst
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Quality Control Technician
ELIGIBILITY TO DO A DEGREE IN INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
The candidate who completed 10+2 under the science stream are eligible
JEE (Joint Entrance Examination)
Joint Entrance is an all-India standardized computer-based test for admissions to various technical undergraduate programs in engineering, architecture and planning across India.
MHT CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Examination)
The MHT-CET or Common Entrance Test is an annual entrance exam conducted by the Government of Maharashtra.
KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
Karnataka Common Entrance Test is conducted for aspirants every year for the various engineering colleges of the state.
TOP COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES IN INDIA AND ABROAD TO STUDY INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- University of California-Berkeley, US
- University of Michigan, Michigan
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia
- Purdue University, Indiana
- Northwestern University, Illinois
- Columbia University, US
- IIT Kharagpur, India
- IIT Roorkee, India
- Anna university, India
- Manipal Institute of Technology, India
FAMOUS PEOPLE CONNECTED WITH INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
The founder of the automotive company Ford Motors, Henry Ford is possibly the most famous industrial engineer of all time. His innovation cut the time it took to build a car from more than 12 hours to 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Lillian Gilbreth is an American industrial engineer and psychologist. She was an early pioneer in applying psychology to time-and-motion studies.
TOP INSTITUTIONS THAT EMPLOY PEOPLE IN INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- Infosys private limited
- Care soft edu plus
- Garett advancing motion
- Wildcraft india Pvt.ltd
- TK Elevator Pvt.Ltd
- Siemens Limited
- Western digital
- Amtech electronics
- United Oil and gas engineering Pvt.Ltd
- Kaizen Automation
- Tehwa enterprises