Some spaces leave an impact on us and it soothes and comforts us. Creating meaningful spaces that fulfil the needs of people is of utmost importance in interior design.
Interior design involves shaping the interiors of spaces with stunning aesthetics. Interior design is all about research, conceptual development, efficient planning and creating a relaxed environment for the clients.
Interior design does not necessarily mean designing and planning residence interiors and other living spaces. There are several career opportunities in interior designing from which one can choose, such as furniture design, exhibition designers or lighting designers.
Future Scope for a Career in Interior Design
- According to reports, more than 1 lakh interior designers are currently required in India, including designers who take on projects as freelance designers. The top employers in the industry are architectural and construction firms and furniture companies.
- Due to the rising population and changes in family structures, per capita, land consumption is decreasing day by day. So, the effective use of the limited space becomes mandatory. This situation highly demands the assistance of qualified interior designers.
- Interior designers have job opportunities in residential projects which include houses, flats and other places that are used for domestic accommodation.
- Sustainable design is an emerging area in this field. Sustainable designers are responsible for minimising the environmental impact of the materials they use.
- Universal interior designers seek to develop spaces that are accessible to all kinds of people, including people with disabilities, elderly people, children etc.
- Interior designers have work options in temporary exhibition projects, where they are asked to design certain things for a temporary period of time.
- Furniture design is one of the specialised interior design careers. Professionals in this area are responsible for developing comfortable, visually appealing, functional and versatile furniture.
- There are other specialised career opportunities in the field including, exhibition designer, lighting designers, kitchen design, architecture, architectural technologist, product designer textile designer, stylist, and production designer
- Graduates can also work as teachers/instructors and independent experts in the field of Interior Design.
Skills Required to Study Interior Design
- Ability to deal with technical details
- Scientific aptitude
- Analytical mind
- Colour sense
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Drawing aptitude
- Visual sensitivity
- Ability to work on a given budget
Careers in Interior Design
- Interior designer
- Theatre designer
- Residential interior designer
- Commercial interior designer
- Exhibition designer
- Lighting designer
- Kitchen designer
Eligibility to Pursue a Degree in Interior Design
Students who passed 10+2 from recognized institutions under any stream can apply for a bachelor’s degree in Interior Design.
- AIEED – entrance examination conducted by Arch College of Design and Business to offer admissions to its undergraduate as well as postgraduate design programs.
- GD Goenka DAT – conducted by GD Goenka Group for the admission of undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- CEPT Entrance Exam – Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology conducts an entrance exam in order to shortlist aspirants for admission to courses offered by it.
- IIAD Entrance Exam – conducted by the Indian Institute of Art and Design for admission to undergraduate courses offered by it.
- NID Entrance Exam – national level entrance exam held by the National Institute of Design for its various undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Top Colleges/Universities in India and Abroad to Study Interior Design
- RMIT University, Australia
- University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Northumbria University, UK
- Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Arch College of Design and Business, India
- IIFA Multimedia, India
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, India
- Indian Institute of Art and Design, India
- Pearl Academy, India
- National Institute of Design, India
Famous People Connected With Interior Design
American Interior Designer. Nate Berkus is notable for regularly featuring on The Oprah Winfrey Show, offering design advice to viewers.
Peter Marino is widely recognized as the ‘Design Legend’. He worked at the french fashion house Louis Vuitton for several years.
Top Institutions that Employ People in this Field
- Autoline Industries Ltd
- Mudra Communications
- Design in India
- Synergy Corporate Interiors
- Maps of India
- The Karigars
- The Grid