Chemistry is often referred to as the study of transformation itself. Everything around us has a chemical side to it, based on various processes and properties. Chemistry deals with the properties and behaviour of matter. At the same time, it is a scientific way to explain innumerable natural phenomena in the world around us.
If you are interested in and passionate about the subject, then there are a lot of exciting job opportunities in various fields of chemistry.
FUTURE SCOPE FOR CAREERS IN CHEMISTRY
- According to the U.S Bureau of Statistics, the overall employment of chemists and materials scientists is projected to grow by 6% from 2020 to 2030.
- About 9,100 openings for chemists and materials scientists are projected each year on average over the last decade.
- Chemistry graduates can have job opportunities in the government sector in institutions like development laboratories, hospitals, pharmaceutical sectors, food and beverage industry, hazardous waste management, petroleum and gas mining industry etc.
- Graduates can work as pharmacologists in the medical field who are responsible for checking and analysing how drugs work.
- Graduates can have jobs in WHO, various government and environmental agencies and charity-funded research organisations such as the Medical Research Council (MRC).
- Most chemists can work for large oil companies or for independent companies that support the industry with fluid-cracking catalysts, chemicals that aid with drilling and refinery or technical support for handling environmental systems.
- Chemists are opted to conduct and provide advice with research and the protection of personnel from chemical, biological and radiological agents.
- Private companies in food production like Amul, Nestle and Brittania also hire material analysts and analytical chemists for laboratories and the production sector.
- Technological advancements like 3D bioprinting, nano pesticides and solid-state batteries have all increased job opportunities for chemistry graduates in many different fields.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO STUDY CHEMISTRY
- Preparing and delivering presentations
- Communication of knowledge to others
- Report writing
- Interpersonal skills
- Leadership and team skills
- Data collection and analysis
- Time management
CAREERS IN CHEMISTRY
- Analytical Chemist
- Chemistry Teacher
- Forensic Scientist
- Hazardous Waste Chemist
- Materials Scientist
ELIGIBILITY TO DO A DEGREE IN CHEMISTRY
Those who have graduated with a science stream in 10+2 under a recognised board can opt.
AP (Advanced Placement) examinations
These are exams offered in the United States by the College Board and are taken each May by students. The tests are the culmination of year-long Advanced Placement (AP) courses. AP exams have a multiple-choice section and a free-response section.
SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
Scholastic Assessment Test, widely used for college admissions in the United States
JMI (Jamia Millia Islamia) Entrance Exam
JMI or Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance exam is a national-level annual entrance exam conducted for admission in undergraduate, postgraduate, MPhil, PhD, Diploma and certificate courses at Jamia Millia Islamia
PU CET (Punjab University Common Entrance Test)
Punjab University Common Entrance Test (PU CET) is a state-level entrance exam conducted by Panjab University for candidates seeking admission to the various UG and PG programs.
TOP COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES IN INDIA AND ABROAD TO STUDY CHEMISTRY
- University of California, Berkeley
- Stanford University, US
- North Western University, Illinois
- Tsinghua University, China
- University of Oxford, UK
- Imperial College London, UK
- Punjab University, India
- Jamia Millia Islamia,India
- University of Delhi, India
- Loyola College Chennai, India
FAMOUS PEOPLE CONNECTED WITH CHEMISTRY
Russian chemist and inventor. He is best known for formulating the Periodic Law and creating a farsighted version of the periodic table of elements.
Marie Curie was a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity.
TOP INSTITUTIONS THAT EMPLOY PEOPLE IN CHEMISTRY
- JSW petroleum
- Adani Chemicals
- Reliance Petroleum
- Kingfisher Beverage
- Chemists SGS
- US Tech Solutions
- Merieux Nutriscience
- Kelly Services
- Medical Research Council (MRC)