Remember the last time you were out on a picnic with the family and stayed in a nice hotel? You enter a shiny lobby and are welcomed by a smiling receptionist. You may never forget the hotel staff who treated you with incredible warmth and politeness. This is what hospitality management is all about- they try to make someone’s day a little bit better.
Hospitality management is multidisciplinary and the careers range from executive chef to hotel manager and plenty in between. The hospitality industry has become the epitome of success with an escalating number of employment possibilities. If you have the right skill set, you can also be part of this promising sector.
FUTURE SCOPES OF CAREERS IN HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- The travel and tourism industry is one of the core fields of hospitality management. As per the World Travel and Tourism Council’s report, the industry contributed a whopping 7.9 trillion to the global economy in 2018 and generated 319 million jobs.
- The hospitality industry generates a large amount of revenue and jobs, which has a positive influence on the global economy as well as the employment rate. One can find a job in various places and get a chance to work for international chains.
- Hospitality management graduates can have supervision and maintenance roles within sectors like lodging and accommodation, food and beverage, travel and tourism, and event management.
- You can also have governmental jobs in banks, in railway catering in IRCTC with regards to hospitality management.
- Human resource management in various organisations and institutions provide job opportunities for hospitality management graduates.
- Luxury hospitality is an emerging, most lucrative and fastest-growing of all hospitality sectors. It focuses on providing the flavour of local culture to the guests.
- You can also make a career in Marketing and PR as it can be connected to both hospitality and tourism based upon the needs of the industry.
- Advanced technologies are introduced in the industry, and automation will be a great part of the hotel management industry in the near future. With the right skill set, you can find various new and exciting jobs in the field.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO STUDY HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- Organisational and management skill
- Attention to detail
- Cultural awareness
- Compliance training
- Use of new technologies
CAREERS IN HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- Accommodation manager
- Event manager
- Hotel manager
- Restaurant manager
- Catering Assistant
- Front office manager
- Director of housekeeping
- HR officer
- Sommelier (Experts in fine wine management)
- Lifestyle specialist
- Luxury Airfield Hospitality Agent
- Luxury Yacht Purser
- VIP Event Management
- Brand Management
- International Luxury Buyer
- Luxury Travel Designer
- House event planner
- Conference organiser
- Bridal consultant
- Spa director
- Theme park manager
ELIGIBILITY TO DO A DEGREE IN HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
Students must pass 10+2 under a recognised board of education
AIMA UGAT ( All India Management Association Under Graduate Aptitude Test )
Under Graduate Aptitude Test (UGAT) is a standardized test administered by the All India Management Association- AIMA annually to screen the candidates for various undergraduate programs such as Integrated MBA (IMBA), BBA, BCA, BHM, B.Com, etc. by all Indian management associations.
NCHM JEE ( National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology Joint Entrance Examination )
National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology Joint Entrance Examination or NCHMCT JEE (also known as NCHM JEE) is a national-level hotel management entrance exam conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) for admission to B. Sc. Course in Hospitality and Hotel Administration (B. Sc.)
TOP COLLEGES/UNIVERSITIES IN INDIA AND ABROAD TO STUDY HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management, Switzerland
- Washington State University, US
- Swiss Hotel Management School, Switzerland
- Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne,Switzerland
- University of Nevada, Switzerland
- Glion Institute of Higher Education, Switzerland
- Bournemouth University, UK
- IHM Delhi, India
- IHM Mumbai, India
- Chandigarh Group of Colleges, India
- Munnar Catering College, India
FAMOUS PEOPLE CONNECTED WITH HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
Bruce Faber is famous as an Award-winning restaurant, hotel, and hospitality owner. He has been also recognised as the recruiter of EHS Recruiting Company Chicago and Midwest, which is one of America’s premier recruiting companies.
Frances Kiradjian has been known as the founder and chair of the Boutique Lifestyle Leaders Association- BLLA. She also brought global attention to independent, upscale boutique hotels and brands after having 25 years of experience in the hospitality industry.
TOP INSTITUTIONS WHICH EMPLOY PEOPLE IN HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT
- Lodging and accommodation
- Food and beverage
- Travel and Tourism
- Event Management
- Hilton Hotels
- Omni Hotels
- Hyatt Hotels
- The Plaza
- Hotel Ritz
- Taj Mahal Palace
- Beverly Hills Hotel
- The Shelbourne Hotel
- Tourism sector
- Cruise ships
- Amusement parks
- Destination marketing organizations
- Convention centres
- Country clubs